Dr. Leo Toureno Orthodontist
Hello, my name is Dr. Leo Toureno (please, call me Dr. Leo). I am the founder and 100% owner of Just Smile Orthodontics and I will be your family orthodontist in Tucson. I am committed to providing my patients with the highest quality of orthodontic care possible. As a skilled orthodontist, I understand what your teeth and jaws need. As a fellow brace-wearer, I understand what you need. Yes, that's me – Dr. Leo – wearing braces.
I have a passion for dentistry, and for improving the lives of others. After 7 years of practicing general dentistry, my pursuit of perfecting my skills has led me to specialize in orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics. Why did I choose this specialty? It allows me to give my patients healthy, confident, beautiful smiles.
I believe in lifelong learning to stay up-to-date on the latest technology and exciting advances in dentistry. I averaged more than 150 hours of continuing education per year, which is over 6 times the Arizona Dental Board requirement. I ranked amongst the top of my dental class, and achieved some of the highest grades nationwide on my National Dental Board Examinations. I am proud to be an inductee of the Omicron Kappa Upsilon national dental honor society, an honor only offered to dental students in the top percentile. In addition, I am also a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics (ABO Board certified), the only Orthodontic Board recognized by the American Dental Association (ADA) and the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO). Not all Orthodontic dental specialists hold a Diplomate status with the ABO. In order to be ABO Board certified, I had to go through a process of rigorous multi-step written, clinical and oral examination. My Diplomate status shows my dedication, the pursuit of perfection and attention to your treatment outcome.
I hold the following degrees
- B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) from the University of British Columbia
- D.D.S. (Doctorate in Dental Surgery) from the University of Southern California School of Dentistry
- D.H.Sc. (Doctorate degree in Health Sciences) from the A.T. Still University, Arizona School of Health Sciences
My advanced studies include
- Residency training | Post-graduate Dental Specialty Certificate in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics from the Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
- Invisalign training with the best Invisalign clinicians
- I have also studied Laser Dentistry, Implant Dentistry, Aesthetic Dentistry and Migraines/TMJ
- Spear Education
Among the honors I have received are
- Fellowship at the Institute for Advanced Laser Dentistry
- I was inducted into the Omicron Kappa Upsilon national dental honor society
I am a proud member of
- American Board of Orthodontics
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Arizona Dental Association
- Southern Arizona Dental Society
I have authored several Scientific & Professional peer reviewed articles
- The Effect of Western Adaptation of Hispanic-Americans on their Assessment of Korean Facial Profiles. Korean Journal of Orthodontics.
- Identification of Supernumerary Teeth in 2D and 3D: Review of Literature and a Proposal. Journal of Dental Education.
- Resident's Journal Review: The Relationship between Posterior Crossbites and Temporomandibular disorders. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics.
- Atypical Orofacial Conditions in Noonan Syndrome: A Case Report. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry.
- FGF8 Dose Dependent Regulation of Embryonic Submandibular Salivary Gland Morphogenesis. Developmental Biology.
- Sonic Hedgehog Signaling Plays an Essential Role During Embryonic Salivary Gland Epithelial Branching Morphogenesis. Developmental Dynamics.
Click on the images to download the article
We truly are a local family business. It is no surprise that we also support local businesses here in Tucson AZ. Click here to browse local businesses that you may wish to go to. Think local: support our community.